Work4You is a vocational assessment service for people who have an acquired brain injury (ABI) and who want to return to work, training or education. Work4You also provides essential ABI information and education for employers, tutors and trainers who are supporting people affected by an ABI. ABI Ireland has three Work4You teams located in the Border, Midlands and West Region. Each team includes an Occupational Therapist and two Vocational Facilitators who will carry out one-to-one assessments as well as providing on-going vocational guidance and support. Every Work4You participant will be supported to develop a Personal Progression Plan (PPP) which will enable them to set, and achieve goals relating to education, training and employment. The west team covers the counties Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal.
A full Work4You assessment is carried out by an Occupational Therapist, highlighting each Work4You participants work skills, knowledge and experience. The Work4You team use Valpar assessment tools while also taking a holistic look at the participants’ life. Focusing on the individuals functional and work capacity, identifying transferrable skills.
- Give the individual a chance to get involved in tasks which they may find more challenging, such as identify areas of work they find difficult or impossible to do
- Provide assistance in setting vocational goals; which include outlining potential work, training and education options
- Ensure that those with an ABI receive feedback, recommendations and strategies with which they can build on their vocational strength
- Develop a sustainable working environment for both the employee, employer, student, tutor and trainer.
Work4You referrals can be made by the person with an ABI, a family member, or employer as well as healthcare and allied professionals. Work4You participants must meet the following criteria:
- Have sustained an ABI
- Live in counties Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Offaly, Longford, Westmeath, Louth, Cavan, Monaghan or Laois
- 16-65 years
- Receive a Department of Social Protection payment
- Be approved by the Department of Social Protection to participate in Work4You
ABI Ireland will coordinate an eligibility check on behalf of the Department of Social Protection. Once approval has been received the Work4You team will begin to work with the individual to ensure an effective Personal Progression Plan is put in place to help them return to work, training or education. In the event of someone not being eligible for this programme, the team will link them in with appropriate community support services.
Work4You is funded by the Department of Social Protection and the European Social Fund under the Disability Activation Project (DACT). The programme ‘Work4You’ is the first community based neuro-assessment service of its kind in Ireland.
The Work4You hub for the West and North-West Region is located at Upper Chapel Street, Castlebar. For more information about Work4You contact 094 9026 630 or see www.abiireland.ie
People to Contact